Long Way Expeditions Projects
In our community we have many women who are single parents due to different reasons, mainly death of their husbands, leaving them to raise their children on their own with little or no income and are left to live in extreme poverty. As locals, the Long Way Expeditions team donates high milk yielding breed cows to these families .The widow is responsible for its care of the cow and manage it under zero grazing. This project have the general objective of improving the quality of life of women in our community and their children.
We have already helped three families who have started a collecting milk, usually a reliable man with a boda boda a famous name for the motorbike, undertakes the job of transporting the milk in urban center at a fair cost for sale. Usually a cow can produce 8-15 litters of milk per day, these families have agreed to market their milk collectively. Usually the morning milk is sold using this arrangement while the afternoon milk is sold to local customers.
We are supporting a tree planting project at Usambara Mountain which involve the school children from 7 years to 14 years to raise awareness of taking care of their environment and cutting down trees will have a negative impact to the wildlife and future generation.
For the tree planting project like the friends of Usambara mountains the clients can participate in planting trees together with
the school children, also they can buy trees from the village trees nursery and donate to the project.
We are supporting on the big campaign on getting rid of use of plastic bags .We also avoid a lot of printing and for bookings and other related issues with paper we try to do online in order to avoid printing a lot and hence saving trees!
In Tanzania the major source of power is hydroelectricity, which need a lot of water, but we are in a Tropical Country where the sun is throughout the year. In our office we mostly use solar system to avoid the much wasted water from Hydroelectricity.
Long Way Expeditions we are working with a local Training Institute called Action Training Institute, whereby the girls who are rejected by their parents or guardians after they get pregnant we support in their study at the institute with their children. We give them opportunities of internship in our company. We also help them to get a jobs in lodges and hotels which are our business partner.
Most lodges and hotels we take our clients buy food, fruits, and vegetable from the local markets owned by small business entrepreneurs which help to raise individual economy and community in general.
Every year Team Long Way Expeditions we donate women pads for the schools girls in remote schools areas. This has been the big problem which cause school girls to miss their studies for a week in every month hence affect a lot of girl’s academic performance in general. This is because many families can not afford to buy the pads for their girls.
Social and Culture
- With regard to your own social behavior, it is important to be aware of the local community’s culture and traditions and to respect local etiquette. We would hope that all our clients intend a cultural exchange during their visit to learn more about the host community.
- Ask before you take a picture of an individual except when you’re in the game drives .
- Greetings with hand shake is much appreciated but it is not compulsory.
- People are very shy some time they can avoid eyes contact this is normal for the local here.
- Team long Way Expeditions we support the local soccer team for both boys and girls under 14, knowing that sports can generates employments, we support these team in terms of sport kits and coaching expenses. These young talents if they are well nurtured they will become great players of their clubs and our National team as well in the nearer future