Your international airline may have pre-boarding testing requirements. Please study the requirements of your airline and international airport(s) carefully. Many of our guests travel through Amsterdam and currently if you have a transfer in Amsterdam, you do not need to show a negative NAAT (PCR) test result or rapid test result on arrival in the Netherlands. A transfer is when you change planes and continue your journey within 1 day without leaving the airport where you transfer. Please make sure to check the entry requirements of your final destination.
Arriving in Tanzania
Tanzania requires you to complete a Traveler’s Health Surveillance Form within 24 hours prior to arrival. Once completed, the traveler will receive a completion notification containing their Unique Health Code (UHC) which they will present upon arriving.
Additionally, all travelers are required to present a negative COVID-19 test certificate upon arrival. The test must be a Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test, with the sample collected within 72 hours before arrival in Tanzania. Travelers in transit more than 72 hours will be required to be tested by rapid test upon arrival in Tanzania. The rapid test cost is $10 per traveler and can be pre-paid online when you complete your online Traveler’s Health Surveillance Form.
All travelers entering Tanzania may be subject to enhanced screening for COVID-19 and a rapid test. Again, the rapid test cost is $10 per traveler.
Traveling in Tanzania
While traveling in Tanzania, standard Covid-19 protocols (masking, social distancing, and sanitizing) will be adhered to by your guide and those working in the tourism industry, while in public settings, airports/airplanes, and the common areas of accommodations. All full-time Long Way Expeditions safari guides have been vaccinated against Covid-19.
Much of your time on safari will be socially distanced from other travelers and outside. However, if you plan to travel in a more populous area (city or town), we recommend being masked when social distancing cannot be maintained.
Prior to departing Tanzania, Covid-19 testing (PCR and/or Rapid Test) will be required for most travelers. Please study the requirements of your airline and international airport(s) carefully. Covid-19 testing costs (PCR Test $50+facility fees pp / Rapid Test $10 pp) are the responsibility of the traveler. As your tour operator, we will help coordinate proper test timing, location, and test payment.
PCR Test Procedures
PCR Tests should be administered no more than 3 days prior to your scheduled departure. Your Final Summary Schedule will indicate the date when your test should be administered.
Scheduling – Long Way Expeditions will register you for your PCR test no less than 5 days prior to the test date. Testing sites will vary based on your specific travel itinerary.
Testing for mainland / northern safari circuit locations.
Testing for Zanzibar.
Testing Fee Payment (Mainland) – Once your appointment has been made, our staff in Arusha will receive your testing payment Control Number (unique number for each traveler). We will make the payment on your behalf and you will reimburse this cost to your guide ($50 per person – cash). Since test requirements are subject to change, reimbursement on site will be the most accurate approach.
Testing Fee Payment (Zanzibar) – Once your appointment has been made, we will prepay for the test and then forward your test scheduling confirmation on Zanzibar. The location of the test will be based on where you are staying on the island. There are facilities on the east coast as well as in Stone Town.
Facility Fee Payment – You will be responsible for the facility fee that will be paid on site. This fee will range from $10-20 per person depending on the testing facility.
Testing Procedure (day of) –
- Masks are required at the testing sites.
- Have your passport available for check in as well as payment confirmation (provided by your guide).
- Sample collection will take place in the morning. Test collection hours vary at each site.
- Please expect the process to take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Results – Once the testing process is complete and the certificate is ready, a notification with your results and certificate will be sent from the National Public Health Laboratory – Tanzania (firstname.lastname@example.org) to the email address used during registration (usually your safari consultant’s email unless otherwise specified). You may also check https://pimacovid.moh.go.tz/#/booking (for mainland / northern safari circuit locations) or https://zanzibarcovidtesting.co.tz/app/home (for Zanzibar) for updates using your passport number to pull up your results. Please note that once the sample leaves the testing site, the testing site will not receive information about results. Should you have any concerns please ask your guide to contact the Regional Laboratory Technologist at +255 713 819 450 (Warda) or +255 715 361 518 (Nangai).
- For travelers departing from JRO, a printed copy of your test result will be given to you in Arusha. We will also email you a PDF of the certificate.
- For travelers departing from DAR or ZNZ, we will email you a PDF of the certificate.
Rapid Test Procedures (updated August 23, 2021)
- If you are departing on an airline that requires a Rapid Test prior to boarding, you need to arrive at your international airport of departure 5 hours prior to departure.
- All international airports (JRO, DAR and ZNZ) have Rapid Test capacity.
- Pre-registration is not required.
- Payment of $10 can be made in cash by depositing into the on-site bank.
- Results are provided within 15 to 20 minutes of taking the test.
UPDATE: currently a Rapid Test is NOT required if you are just transiting through Amsterdam (AMS). You still need to be traveling with a valid NEGATIVE PCR test.
Common PCR Testing Sites in the Northern Circuit
- Arusha Lutheran Center Referral Hospital – daily $25 USD (cash); you can request to have someone come to you to administer the test (this should be pre-arranged)
- Mt. Meru Regional Referral Hospital – 8 am – 3:30 pm daily
- FAME Medical Health Center – 8:30 am – 11:30 am daily $15 USD (cash or credit accepted)
- Seronera Airstrip (Musoma Regional Referral Hospital) – 7:00 – 10:00 am daily 20,000 TShillings (approx. $8.60)
- Kogatende Airstrip (Musoma Regional Referral Hospital) – 8:00 – 10:00 am daily 20,000 Tshillings (approx. $8.60)
- Global Hospital (Stone Town) – 7:30 am – 2:30 pm M-Sat, 8 am – 12 pm Sun
- Testing sites on East Coast of Zanzibar – 7:30 am – 2:30 pm M-Sat, 8 am – 12 pm Sun,